A BBQ can’t be all Meat and no Veg!
In my family barbecues, I’ve found that after cleaning the grill and preparing the meat, I often have little time left for the rest. I like the shortest cuts to beautiful tasty food, which can be thrown together in less than 10 minutes and this salad is a classic of that genre!
In supermarkets here in the US they have something called Cowboy Caviar. It’s a sort of Bean salad mixed with other things and a few unmentionables too (they do like their chemistry sets here!) But, it looked good and a couple of years back, I decided to play with some ingredients and replicate it in a fresher more nutritious form. Ever since, this side salad has gone down a treat with my family and our guests.
I’m sure you’ll find this wicked fresh salad with it’s great crunch, mix of flavors and bright colors as moreish as my lot do!
- 1 x Red Sweet Pepper – diced into small pieces
- 1 x Green Sweet Pepper – diced into small pieces
- 1/2 x Red Onion – diced into small pieces
- 1 x Cup of Flat Leaf Parsley medium chopped
- 1 x tin of Black Beans (drained)
- 1 x tin of Sweet Corn (drained)
- 2 x tbsp Wine Vinegar (feel free to use flavored – such as raspberry)
- 3 x tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of Half Lemon, to give it zing
- Salt N’ Pepper to season
- If you’ve read my previous posts, you should be able to guess – Yup, chuck the lot in a big bowl, mix and ‘abra-cadabra’, the salad is done.
Chow down Cowboys & Cowgirls, y’all! The ‘Caviar’ is ready to eat. It’s great with the barbecued meat I’ve posted recipes for this last week
For my final July 4 post, coming soon – something for the folks who like a drink but pine for something a little exotic…..