This week typifies our British obsession with weather. We had the hottest September day since 1911 at 34.5C (94F), sunshine, thunderstorms, lightening, a month’s rain in 24 hours, floods, hailstones, and by the end of the week back to more typical weather for Autumn. One of my favourite weekend brunch dishes is scrambled eggs and this recipe is easy, low carb & can be dairy-free too.
- 2 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 3 brown mushrooms, mini portobello work well
- handful of rocket (arugula)
- a few baby tomatoes
- fresh chives, chopped
- knob of butter & vegetable oil (for dairy free)
- freshly ground sea salt & black pepper
- Clean the mushrooms, remove the stalk & trim around the cap (see picture)
- Brush with a little vegetable oil & season with sea salt & black pepper
- Grill (broil) under a medium heat for 3-4 minutes
- Melt the butter or vegetable oil if dairy free in a small saucepan on a medium/low heat
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl, season & add to the pan, stirring continuously
- Add a few chopped chives keeping some aside
- Cook the scrambled eggs for 3 minutes
- Pile the eggs on top of mushrooms
- Decorate with some chopped chives, tomatoes & rocket (arugula).
My tasty, healthy scrambled eggs filled mushrooms – a healthy, low carb & dairy free brunch.