I wanted to continue the Middle Eastern theme this weekend following on from my co blogger’s fantastic chicken and rice recipe. A friend’s teenage daughter has recently become vegan and it is also Veganuary. This recipe is from Honey & Co.’s award winning “Food from the Middle East” book which I have tweaked slightly to serve two. Honey & Co. is a fabulous Middle Eastern restaurant in Central London. I was lucky enough to hear Sarit & Itamar, the founders talk about their food journey last year at a food event organised by Julia Platt-Leonard from the legendary cook shop Divertimenti, London.
Heat the oven to 200 C (390 F)
- 2 aubergines, top & tailed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Seeds from 1 small fresh pomegranate, reserve a few for decoration
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 40 g (1.4 oz) walnuts, roughly chopped, reserve a few for decoration
- 1 dessertspoon pomegranate molasses
- 10g (0.3 oz) fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1.5cm (0.6 inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- pinch of smoked paprika
- pinch of chilli powder
- freshly ground sea salt & black pepper
- Toast the walnuts for about 5 minutes on a baking tray in the oven, remove & cool. Watch to ensure they don’t burn
- Slice the aubergines(eggplants) lengthwise about 0.75 cm (0.3 inch) thick.
- Keep the outer slices with skin for the filling.
- Lay the inner slices on a foil covered baking tray that’s been brushed with olive oil
- Brush each slice and season with sea salt & black pepper
- Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, turning over half way, until soft and golden
- Remove slices & cool
- Chop the outer slices of aubergine (eggplant) finely
- Cook the chopped red onion in a tablespoon of olive oil on a low/medium heat until soft.
- Add the chopped aubergine, freshly ground sea salt and continue cooking on a low heat for another 8-10 minutes until soft,take off the heat to cool
- Mix the pomegranate seeds & chopped walnuts, reserving a few for decoration
- Add pomegranate molasses, grated ginger, chopped parsley, paprika, chilli powder, cooked chopped onion & aubergine (eggplant)
- Season with sea salt & black pepper
To finish preparation:
- Take an aubergine (eggplant) slice and add a dessertspoon of filling one end & roll up
- Repeat with the other slices
- Place in an oven proof dish and scatter the remaining stuffing around the edge
- Heat for 5-8 minutes at 200 C (390F)
To serve scatter the reserved pomegranate seeds and toasted chopped walnuts.
Deliciously healthy & a Veganuary special!
Looks divine, nice and healthy for January too! I love the honey & Co books and really want to go to the Restaurant someday, have you been?
Hi thanks for your lovely comments. I have eaten at Honey & Co. once but it’s so difficult to get in being so popular and quite small.I’m told they do a fabulous brunch & it may be slightly easier to get in for late breakfast/early lunch than dinner. They do lovely cakes & foodie gifts such as spice mixes too.Definitely worth checking out. Linsx
I love this recipe and need to try making it very soon!
Hi Petra thanks for your comments. This dish looks and tastes great and would be a good one to cook for friends round for dinner. Works well with a spinach salad dressed with a dressing made with olive oil, lemon juice and a teaspoon of tahini. Enjoy!