A couple of days ago, I spotted some beautiful Alaskan Cod Loins on the fish counter in Stew Leonard’s in Yonkers.
I am a sucker for a nice piece of fish and I live in hope of persuading my youngest kid of its virtues…..but more of that another day!
There are few ways to do justice to such nice pieces of fish, so I decided to use one of my favorite fast recipes for cooking cod in the summer. This involves minimal toil and travail, enabling me to maximize my time in the evening sun, whilst producing something that looks and tastes $1 million!
The Cod and Tomato extravaganza I produced utilizes wonderful, colorful, healthy crunchy, summer ingredients with the fresh Mediterranean taste I think is fantastic.
Ingredients (for 4)
- 4 x 7 oz / 200 g Cod loins
- 20 Ripe multicolored mini heirloom tomatoes (our US readers can find them in Trader Joes)
- 12 Large Sicilian green olives (pitted)
- 3 Garlic cloves (chopped quarterly)
- 6 oz / 170 g trimmed green beans
- A handful of torn basil leaves
- The juice of 2 lemons
- 3 fl oz / 80 ml Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Salt n’ pepper to season
- Simply throw the tomatoes, olives, beans and garlic into a large bowl and pour in the olive oil, lemon juice and seasoning then mix the ingredients whilst squishing the tomatoes with a fork, so their juices leak into the liquid
- Cover and leave for 30 minutes after which mix in the torn basil leaves
- Meanwhile dust each cod loin with salt n’ pepper and heat your oven to 400 f / 200 c
- Cut 4 large squares of Foil and 4 slightly smaller squares of parchment paper, placing the parchment on top of each foil square
- Equally distribute the tomato, olive and bean dressing on each of the parchment (foil) sheets, placing a cod loin on the top of each pile of veg then pouring the remaining juice over the cod
- Wrap the parchment and foil around the fish veg mix and pop in the oven for just 15 minutes
Unwrap the parcel and savor the perfectly cooked fish imbued with the subtle flavors of the tomatoes, beans and olives, lemon garlic and oil.
Simply wonderful when served on buttery fluffy mashed potato into which the juices of all the ingredients can soak!