My kids have been begging me to post (hence make) this sweet fruity, summery dessert, since we launched the blog way back at the dawn of history c.June 2015. So on the cusp of 2000 views, I’ve decided to relent and share this easy to make family favorite for all our readers to try – I promise you will not be disappointed, unless you are on a diet!
Ingredients for 4
Crumble top: 8 oz / 230 g plain flour, 4 oz / 115 g butter, 3 oz / 85 g sugar and a pinch of salt.
Fruity base: 8 oz / 230 g of Rhubarb and 8 oz / 230 g Apples (I used Granny Smith but Cortland – in the US – and Bramley cooking apples in the UK work too) and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
Maple Cream: 8 fl oz / 230 ml of heavy cream (double cream in the UK) and around 1 tbsp of Maple Syrup
This could not be simpler!
- Chop up your rhubarb and apple into 1 inch pieces, pour into the base of a oven fruit dish, or cake baking tin, to form an even layer then dust with the sugar (3 tbsp NOT the 3 oz!)
- Chuck the flour, butter, remaining sugar and salt into your food process and whiz until the mix resembles breadcrumbs
- Pour the crumbs over the fruit, shake to cover the fruit and form an even layer
- Then pop your dish into the oven at 400 f / 200 c and bake for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, whip your cream, till it stiffens, then pour in the Maple Syrup and whip again
Serve the Crumble warm from the oven, with a scoop of the Maple Cream on the side, drizzling a little more of the Syrup over the cream. It’s one awesome dessert, I kid you not! Buttery flaky crumbs, complimenting sweetened, soft rhubarb and apple perfect with a dollop of syrupy cream…..