It’s been a busy few days with three important events all on 5th May. Firstly the Mexican Festival – Cinco de Mayo was widely celebrated around the World. Congratulations to Liverpool Football Club who won on Thursday to reach the Europa League Final. We’ve also had Council & Mayoral Elections in the UK. Here in London Summer has finally arrived with lots of sunshine & temperatures of 24-26 C expected this weekend. I wanted to make this delicious salad that is perfect for lunch or a great accompaniment for your weekend BBQ. This recipe with its vibrant red & white colours would be great for all Liverpool football fans to make in celebration. Thanks to Nigella Lawson for the recipe.
Ingredients (serves 2 for lunch, or 4 as a side dish)
- 350g (12.3 oz) of fresh watermelon cut into chunks, and seeds removed
- 170g (6 oz) of feta cheese drained and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled & very finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of fresh flat leaf parsley, leaves only
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 15-20 olives, pitted if you prefer (I used Italian Taggiasca)
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Put the red onions in a small bowl and add the lime juice, and leave to steep for at least 5 minutes
- In a large bowl combine the ingredients and gently toss
A delicious and refreshing salad that sums up Summer in bowl – perfect to eat in the sunshine.