So far it’s been a great start to the week, having stopped snowing in New York state and my co-blogger said the sun is shining. As a big tennis fan I was happy to wake and hear not only Andy Murray but also Johanna Konta have won through to the quarter finals of the Australian Open – first time since 1984 for a female British player! In the UK it’s Breakfast Week with a campaign to Shake Up Your Wake Up and raise awareness of eating a healthy and nutritious breakfast as a great way to start the day. I thought I would share one of my favourites.
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 small avocado, cut in half, stone removed & flesh roughly chopped
- 4-6 spears of asparagus, washed & drizzled with a teaspoon of olive oil
- handful of fresh spinach
- 1 teasp of fresh shallot or 1 spring onion(scallion) finely chopped
- 2 small fresh tomatoes, washed & halved
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh red chilli (mild-medium hot)
- 2 teaspoons of fresh flat leaf parsley, washed & chopped
- wedge of fresh lime
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- few drops of white wine vinegar
- Combine the chopped avocado, shallot, red chilli, parsley and a squeeze of fresh lime, season with sea salt & pepper
Chargrill the asparagus over a medium/hot heat for 3-4 minutes, turning half way to get grill marks but not over cook
- Boil some water in a large pan on a medium/high heat, add a few drops of vinegar and swirl
- Crack the eggs into a small cup and add to the pan and swirl, keeping the water to a rolling simmer
- Poach the eggs for about 2 minutes and remove onto some kitchen paper with a slotted spoon
To serve put the spinach on a plate and dress with a drizzle of olive oil, add the avocado mixture, tomatoes, asparagus,top with the poached eggs and season. If you’re not avoiding gluten a slice of sourdough toast makes a great accompaniment.
Poached eggs with avocado, spinach & asparagus for Breakfast Week.
Healthy, tasty, gluten & dairy free & a great way to shake up your wake up!
Poached eggs and asparagus great combination. A real breakfast treat. Thanks for sharing, Chloe.
Great you liked the breakfast recipe & thanks for the follow.
We post weekly so watch this space!
Can I have a piece please?
I wish I could send you some through the Internet! Glad you enjoyed the post & happy breakfasting!
LikeLiked by 1 person