It is finally feeling more like Winter in New York, and also due to be zero degrees C (32F) in London tonight. I wanted to wish you all a Happy New Year and share a great drink perfect to warm you before you go outside to watch the fireworks.
- 1 bottle fruity red wine
- 4 clementines, juiced
- 2 clementines, peel and juice
- 1 lemon -peel only
- 80-100g (2.8-3.5 oz) demerara sugar
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 3 cardamon pods, cracked
- large pinch powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- Add all the ingredients to a large saucepan and heat gently for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Use 80g sugar initially and add a little more if you prefer it sweeter.
- You can make in advance, cool & chill in the fridge to re heat later.
For a non alcoholic version:
Use 500ml (17.6 fl oz) clementine juice and 300ml (10.5 fl oz) of pomegranate juice instead of the red wine and demerara sugar. Taste after heating and add some sugar if you prefer sweeter.
Simon & I wish you a very Happy New Year and here’s to more blogging in 2016 from taste2taste.com.