It’s Labor Day Weekend here in the US, families gather for the official end of the US Summer but you wouldn’t know Summer was at an end given the current weather here in NY, where, during the day, the mercury continues to soar to the upper 80s and 90s (28c – 33c)!
When its hot, I like to heat it up with my food, get out the Jalapeno Peppers and cook up one of my family favorites. This simple delicious version of Chili Con Carne with side orders of my own home made Tomato Salsa and Guacamole, is great for a crowd or just a few. The combination of flavors from South of the Border are wonderful
In this first of three posts, I’ll share my recipe for the Chili itself and deal with the sides and offer my secret recipe for something a little Cuban to wash it all down with!
- 1lb Minced Beef
- 1 x Diced Yellow Onion
- 2 x Cloves of Garlic finely chopped
- 1 x Diced and de-seeded Green Pepper
- 1 x Diced and de-seeded Jalapeno Pepper (watch out, I had a live one!)
- Small bunch of Chopped fresh Cilantro / Coriander
- 1 x Can of Red Kidney Beans (drained)
- 1 x Can of Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 x Packet of ready made Chili spice mix (I didn’t have time to make it myself but used a quality organic version by ‘Simply Organic’)
- 1 x tbsp of Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Warm up the Olive Oil and saute the Onion, Garlic, Green and Jalapeno peppers in a pan until softened
- Then, add the mince meat and fry till brown
- Chuck in the Kidney Beans adding the spice mix and 1/4 of a cup of hot water followed by the chopped tomatoes
- Heat until the mixture bubbles
- Now turn down the heat and cook for 20 – 30 minutes on a low light
- Once cooked, season with the Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix in the Chopped Cilantro / Coriander
Add the Chili to a tortilla wrap with re-fried beans, Salsa, Guacamole, crisp chopped lettuce and Hatch Jalapeno peppers? That’s the way I like to eat it and it tastes amazing, I kid you not!!